villainous character as a locomotive is speeding towards her. You know the train is coming, but you
cannot look away from the inevitable destruction. That is how we as agents feel when working with
home sellers who are drinking the media Kool-aid and are pushing and pushing their agents to price
their homes way above market value.
Although the 2014 and 2015 housing market have been strong, much of the activity was due to 1)buyers that had been waiting to buy, 2) rents continuing to rise, and 3) the threat of rising mortgage rates and less about a housing recovery.
The key to successfully selling a home is a balance act of many independent items working together,
many of which a home owner cannot control. The first step (which the seller can control) is accepting an offer. When a Seller lists a home it is assumed that the appropriate amount of preparation and
research has been completed. The singularly most important decision is properly picking a real estate
agent. The agent and seller together determine the success or failure of the sale of the home.
The number one element to any successful relationship is LISTENING to one another. The agent must
listen to the seller and the seller must listen to the agent. The seller has hired the agent and their expertise. Unfortunately, many sellers see things online and take this misinformation as gospel. A
successful agent lives in the real world of residential real estate. Unlike the seller, they live it and breathe it every day.
9 Important Things To Keep In Mind To Avoid Being a Real Estate Dummy
1. Educate your seller about the market
2. Be competitive with other similar homes on the market when pricing the home
3. Pricing a home is key
4. It is all about numbers with appraisers and nothing else
5. Buyers are very well educated; they too have been doing their online research
6. Buyers know what they want and what they will pay for it
7. Old but true saying – “Your first offer is your best offer” still applies
8. Trust your agent
9. Determine what success means before you begin the listing process, manage expectations, and
when success is attained – take the win and carry on.